Travelogue - Jaipur
The day started as early as 5.15 is. But it went for a seizure at 5:15:05 am when I switched off the alarm and went back to continue my early morning sleep. After couple of tough trials to break my morning slumber I was successful at last. Had an early breakfast of the same paratha's that I have almost become used to. Actually, nowadays I do not differentiate between them. U can picture me like a person with the head of a cow sitting at the breakfast table and nibbling off whatever is on the plate and am too bothered to even worry what is stuffed in each of them. At about 8.15am I and vardhan (TCS colleague & my travel mate) left the PG towards IFFCO chowk to get a bus for Jaipur. The day started with a great gift. We got an indica which was ready to drop us off at Jaipur for just a few rupees more than the normal bus charge. So at least the journey part of the weekend had started with comforting note.
One of our co-passengers was very much helpful in charting us out a ternary for the 2 days. And he also helped us out of the evil clutches of the cab driver, who tried to make some quick cash by offering us a ride around the fort city for more than what it was worth. It was long time since I had been on a road journey that lasted more than an hour. All along the highway, I came across at least 4-5 accidents, all of them which involved trucks. It was very much evident that the guys were either driving real rash in some places and most of the cases had dozed off and run themselves into the bush or had hit upon the divider. The fields on b
oth sides posed a very rich and fertile picture of Rajasthan unlike the typical mental picture of dry barren lands that its name stands for. The yellow floors in the fields were really beautiful. And then there were the first signs of the camel pull-carts. The sight of them being used for domestic purposes re-assured that I am in Rajasthan.
After about 4 hours we landed at Amber Palace. This was going to be the first place we had planned to see. The thing that shocked me the most was the exorbitant charge that was claimed for carrying a camera. 50 bucks per camera. I don't know, somehow the government got the clue that they were sending extremely talented photographers like us inside the premises from whom they could generate revenue. Well just could be... isnt it? :)
The interesting that I found here is that most of the comments that the visitors pass on seeing such well-decorated and ornate palaces are the same - " how eccentric could these kings get?" after looking the through all that this palace could offer(which, was open for public) we left for lunch back down the hill. I know it was pretty risky to try a dosa in a restaurant where everyone spoke in Rajasthani, but I didn't want to have anything else.
Post-lunch we decided to go to Jaigarh (Jai-name of the king who built it, Garh-fort). It's atop a hill that's atop a hill which overlooks the whole city of Jaipur and one of the pathways to the valley. It's about a 30 minute climb. And it's real tiring. The only thing that encouraged me to climb the hill was a firang kid just about 3 years old who was happily walking up the hill without cribbing. But she did get scared looking at the black faced Langurs that gave us company too. The fort was actually very boring. Its vast expanse really bored the hell out of us. The only thing interesting that you can find there is the World's largest canon on wheels. It has amazing statistics. Barrel weighing 50 tons. 100Kg gunpowder needed for one shot. An attack range of 22 miles. Fired only once till now, that too a test fire. It has really intricate designs on it and is called "Jayavana".
Walked our way back down. Took a bus to the pink city. Checked into a hotel which was located right in front of the Jama Masjid at Johari Bazaar, which is just about 50m away from Hawa Mahal. The hotel had been there for about 75 years and had rooms that were really cramped but well-maintained. After taking some rest we left for this place called "Choki Daani". It's a carnival setup of a typical rajasthani village. The food was really spicy and unlike what I had ever tasted. I guess that is the true trait of authentic food - unlike anything ever tasted.
We did almost everything that one would do at a carnival. Maalish, Palmistry, saw puppet shows, played on see-saw, swing, saw dances where women had stacked up pots on their heads, magic shows. But ill-luck we could not go on the camel ride that I wanted to. At about 12o'clock we left the place only to find that in Jaipur buses run only till 9.00pm. We felt stranded on the highway, with no-one to even give us a lift. Our hopes of getting a lift in the trucks were crushed when the greedy auto driver told us that Trucks are not allowed inside the city limits. After almost 20 minutes of waiting we managed to get life from couple of bikers who works at the same place. One of them accompanied us half-way and then it was time to go on triples. Reached to a place where we could get some auto that is decently priced. Got an auto and by the time we were back at the room it was already 1.30am.
After a nice sleep that went on till about 8.00am, the next day had begun. Morning breakfast at Hotel LMB (forgot the full form). It was damn spicy and over that real damn costly. Today's agenda - first stop - Hawa Mahal. Built by the king for the women folk of the royal family to check out the proceedings in the street. Then to Jantar Mantar. Could not understand a single thing that the huge structures over there were trying to convey. Only thing I that I could understand is that the king missed his titan watch a lot. So much money just to see time? His time was very precious :)
Next stop - City Palace. The current residence of the Royal family. Heard from one of the guards that Dimple Kapadia was the princess!!!
After that we left for Lunch. And we had vegetable Biriyani. And under no circumstance would I agree that the biriyani tasted like any Biriyani that I had ever tasted. Authentic food??? Naaa... ignorance of the cook.
After the light lunch our next stop was Jal Mahal. It can better be called as 'Sewage' Mahal. Cos that is what the place is being used for. The whole sewage of the city is passed on to this lake which houses the Jal Mahal. I wonder what the king would think of, if he saw the state of his palace now.
Visited a nearby park (which basically, was a big time loser). Then back to Jaipur markets. The markets are more or less a shopping haven, where you have to be careful not to get cheated. There are very few things that a guy can actually buy here. Most of the things sold are targeted towards womenfolk. Both of us bought couple of paintings from a shop.
Then to Bus stand to get a bus to Gurgaon. The ride back was an adventured unmatched. The bus was being driven by an eccentric a$$hole who was competing with another bus right on the highway. They were zooming past other vehicles at about 100Km/hr. No, am not exaggerating. He was really driving that fast. Even after repeated instructions of reducing the speed, all that he had to offer was that he was an expert in such situations and no one needs to worry. I felt like slapping him on his face. I congratulated myself on reaching Gurgaon alive.
Thus ended yet another journey of mine to explore the northern part of India.
No comments:
Post a Comment